HUNTSVILLE, AL. – The Recycling Alliance of North Alabama (RANA) has started the delivery of the new curbside recycling carts to nearly 53,000 residents who have signed up for the program.
Deliveries are scheduled over the next several weeks and all residents who opted-in by June 28 should have carts by their first official collection date in August.
The Solid Waste Disposal Authority (SWDA), which is managing the program, wants to make sure all residents in the City of Huntsville, City of Madison, and Madison County who receive a cart have the following information:
- Each cart will have a flyer attached that will show the residents which day of the month their pickup will be. Carts need to be at the curb by 7 a.m. on pickup day.
- From the day your cart is delivered until your first pickup day, you can begin placing recyclables in your cart.
- A downloadable annual calendar is available at here.
- Each cart will also feature an in-mold label on the top of the lid that will say what you can and cannot recycle in the carts.
- If you have an old 18-gallon bin that you would like to recycle, please leave it on the curb on your first cart pickup date. If you would like to keep your old bin, you can do so.
“We are excited to be kicking off the first phase of the new curbside recycling program and equally excited that so many residents have signed up,” said Doc Holladay, Executive Director of SWDA. “We understand this is a change from the way our residents have recycled for the past 29 years. This new program is more user-friendly and sustainable for all.”
If residents did not sign up to receive a cart by June 28 and wish to participate in the new, free program, they can still do so by visiting stagingswdahsv.wpengine.com or by calling (256) 801-CART.